A glimpse of changes made to our platform in 2021.
Charging Plans (Now With Day Support!)
We've officially launched support for day selection, one of the most requested additions for our charging plan and cost calculation features. This is useful for vehicle owners who have utility plans that only span over specific days, or for locations where there may be reduced rates only on the weekends.
With this addition, you can now control:
- Time of Day (Hours)
- Cost per kWh
New Beta Feature: Modern Dashboard Redesign
We've released a redesigned version of the modern dashboard for our Beta Testers, which features an improved layout and more room to display metrics about your daily drives and charging sessions.
The quick access buttons have been updated to reflecting more commonly used features.
Vehicle: Now including Calendar, Updates, Settings
Drives: Now includes Locations and Trips
Charges: Now includes Plans (Rates) and Electricity Usage.
In an upcoming version, a map will showcase all routes driven throughout a day as well as a better breakdown of charging metrics and costs.
We've improved support for vehicle names with special characters and yes, emojis.
New Feature: Electricity Usage
Our Electricity Usage and Costs feature is now out of Beta and has been given some improvements based on the feedback of our beta testing participants! These changes include:
- Adjusting the billing start day directly from the Electricity Usage page.
- Clicking on a charging session's name will now bring you to its respective page.
- Performance and database improvements have been made to reduce the page load time by 50%.
The Electricity Usage page can also now be found under the "Charges" navigation dropdown or on individual vehicle pages for all premium members.
Annual Subscriptions Now Available
You can now switch to an annual subscription at any time once subscribed and is available at $30/year (two months for free). When updating, you will only have to pay a prorated amount.
The membership page has also been simplified to allow you to cancel and update your subscription all in one place.
You can also now add, remove, or update payment methods via the same billing panel.
- Improvements were made to make text in some input boxes easier to see while on Dark Mode within Account or Vehicle settings.
- Added steering wheel heater controls.
- Restored the option to force update vehicles via our API for premium accounts.
- Resolved an issue causing text to be invisible on Account Settings pages while Dark Mode was enabled.
- Resolved an issue causing text to be visually cut off on the API Key page.
- Added Long Range Plus as an option for Model S vehicles.
- Added a link to API Key settings on the Siri Shortcuts page if one hasn't been generated yet.
- Added seat heater controls.
- Added support for matching the device's UI settings (night/day) when switching.
- Tweaked the software update metrics to only utilize recently updated vehicles for better accuracy.
- Resolved an issue causing text on several pages to be illegible on mobile devices.
- Improved the Tesla Account connection issue email (expired/invalid) to be clearer.
- Switched to use the mail service Postmark for better deliverability.
- Added new endpoints in preparation for our upcoming mobile apps. We'll update our documentation with more information as these become finalized.
- "Vehicles" endpoint (/vehicles) allows for viewing the vehicles under a Teslascope account.
- "Drives" endpoint allows for viewing a paginated result of driving sessions for a particular vehicle.
- "Charges" endpoint allows for viewing a paginated result of charging sessions for a particular vehicle.
- Endpoints for individual driving and charging sessions have also been added.
- Resolved an issue where two invalid token emails would be sent erroneously.
Added a full screen toggle/option on individual driving session, trip, and lifetime driving pages.
Improvements made to ensure emails are sent out under all circumstances when we detect Tesla Account tokens have been invalidated.
New Feature: Split A Driving Session
We've implemented a new feature that allows you to effortlessly split a driving session at any specific location and time. Splitting a drive will create a new driving session with the chosen data points / "progress" and automatically recalculate the metrics for each.
This is useful for scenarios such as:
- Separating a round trip drive into two parts.
- Tracking drive efficiency for each trip while driving for Lyft/Uber or delivery services.
- Excluding/Removing the start or end of a drive for privacy when sharing with others.
Note: All driving sessions must have at least two progress points to be considered valid.
Improved Experience When Connecting Your Tesla Account
We've redesigned and improved the experience when connecting your Tesla Account both when you've first signed up but also via the Tesla Account page.
Charging Session Page Improvements
We've refreshed the design of charging sessions to improve how summarized data is displayed in preparation of upcoming changes.
Other Changes and Fixes
- Several Help Center articles have been updated to include new information about token generation and Tesla Account authentication.
- We've added additional fixes to prevent duplicate software update records from occurring.
- The changelog now supports videos, as can be seen above!
Self-Generated Refresh Tokens Are Back!
We're pleased to share that support for generating and providing your own refresh tokens utilizing the new Tesla OAuth SSO authentication system is now available on Teslascope.
The "How to generate your own tokens" documentation has been updated to provide new information about the recent changes in addition to open-source code for generating a refresh token. In the following weeks, we'll add other methods for different programming languages and other community projects.
We've updated the authentication process for UnlockMyTesla.com to utilize the new Tesla OAuth SSO.
Redesigned Login and Sign Up
New Beta Feature: Electricity Usage
As requested by one of our community members, we're currently experimenting with a build out of an electricity usage / quick glance page which will show you how much you've paid at your non-Supercharging locations for your current and previous billing period.
You can adjust your Billing Period (Start Day) via the "Charging" tab of Vehicle Settings.
This feature will receive many updates and improvements prior to its public launch. As always, you can gain early access to beta features and support the service's development via our premium membership.
Tesla OAuth SSO Support + Breaking Changes
On January 29th, Tesla finalized the transition to their new OAuth authentication system and deprecated an endpoint used by third-party services for refreshing tokens. Developers within the Tesla community worked together diligently, and we're pleased to have officially added support for both Tesla's new OAuth SSO authentication in addition to new token refresh flow a single day later.
Unfortunately, due to the nature of these changes, all Tesla accounts connected prior to January 30, 2021 will eventually fail to refresh. If this occurs, you will just need to reconnect your Tesla account, which should take under a minute.
Note: We have temporarily removed support for authentication via refresh tokens due to the significantly increased complexity of generating your own tokens, although we are currently working on an easy, no hassle, open source method of doing so. We expect for this to be completed by mid-February.
Improvements for International Vehicle Owners
Teslascope's community is made up of individuals from every region of the world and thus inclusivity is paramount to providing a quality experience for each and every vehicle owner.
Today we're pleased to share we've implemented a new exclusive and highly requested feature for all members; matching your account's preferences when sharing your vehicle's page or content! You can now toggle this under the "Advanced" tab of vehicle settings.
What does this mean?
Instead of defaulting to English and the Imperial system, you can now toggle "Matching" so your shared content (driving/charging sessions and trips) along with your vehicle's public page will now reflect your own account's preferences.
- Improvements were made to the onboarding process by ensuring the manual vehicle wake up process is more consistent.
- Resolved an issue causing some locations on the knowledge base (Teslapedia) to be inaccessible.
The following translations have been updated thanks to wonderful volunteers within the community.
The following translations are now available:
- Updated disclaimers on the premium subscription page to make the upgrade process clearer.
- Added support for 2021 to the Calendar and Day View.
- Improvements were made to software update pages to reduce page load times due to uncached data.
- The color of some buttons on the Developer area were changed from green to blue.